Blood and Cookies
Cedarville University is hosting a blood drive today and tomorrow, and for the first time in my life, I'm giving blood. I went to the drive today to sign up for a spot tomorrow, and when I told the woman behind the table that I'd never given blood before, she gave me a quick run-through.
She asked if I'd been to any third world countries lately, if I was feeling any flu syndromes, and then she asked if I weighed at least 110 lbs and looked at me expectantly for an answer. I'm wondering if this woman forgot to put on her glasses. I'm flattered she didn't just look me over and say "Oh, yeah, you definately weight at least 110. That and then some. Yep, you're fat." or anything but honestly, who are we kidding here? I was standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER. I know I'm short, but it's not like I'm a midget.
Anyway, what I'm really concerned about is the fact that she ended the informative schpeel with "Plan to be here for about 45 minutes, but the actual blood-giving process only takes about 7-12 minutes, the rest is just paperwork and waiting." I'm now panicked. How much blood are they going to take from me in twelve minutes? I only have so much blood to give! I don't want to whither up and die! Did I miss some fine print? Is this a blood giving/euthanasia collaborative project? Am I saving the lives of others by giving up my own? Twelve minutes is a long time!
I'll make sure to do a post tomorrow if I'm still alive and breathing. On the bright side, I apparently get a cookie!
This entry was posted on 10:18 AM
You can follow any responses to this entry through
the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response,
or trackback from your own site.










2 comments:
As for the 7 to 12 minutes, it depends on how big your veins are. I have tiny yet visible veins so it takes me probably 10 minutes to give blood. I've gone in to give blood before and 4 people have in come after me, and all 4 were long gone by the time I finished. If your veins are a nice, healthy size, it'll be 7 minutes for you.
The important thing is to drink lots and lots of water until you feel like you're living on the toilet. Not so pleasant sounding I know, but it will speed up the giving blood time a lot.
:) Well, now that I think of it, twelve minutes does seem a long time, but think of it this way - if it was done in two minutes I have heard that means you have dangerously high blood pressure.
Post a Comment