Welcome to Oxford
So I know it's been a very, very long time since I blogged, but I promised various people that I would get back into the habit when I was over in England, so everyone could know what sort of tomfoolery I was getting myself into. And here I am, in Oxford, blogging. Look at me, keeping promises and everything.
The last few days have been so absolutely busy that I don't actually know what to start writing about. Well, let me say a little something about my program. I'm studying for four months at Oxford University, taking tutorials in Creative Writing (focusing on fiction) and Theatre (focusing on dramatic literature, dramaturgy, playwriting, and theatre history). I am living with seven other people about five minutes outside of the main town center, in a lovely house built in the 1700's. My specific college I was accepted into is Christ Church, which was established in 1546.
The plane ride over here went pretty smoothly, despite how long it was. I went from Detroit to Washington DC (everything went fine. I got my luggage, had enough time to get to my next gate without worrying, even got some coffee before boarding) and then straight to Heathrow in London. This was the long flight, but it was okay because we all had our private screens and could choose to watch whatever movies we wanted. Got to watch an Alan Rickman wine movie and Grey's Anatomy and Ugly Betty--I was basically all set. Plus, I had my Nintendo DS and some books with me. The only thing that I disliked was that the plane ride was -extremely- turbulent for awhile. The pilot kept asking the flight attendants to sit down. It was making me a little queasy, but it all worked out (obviously).
Heathrow was extraordinarily big. I mean, HUGE. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could manage to learn their away around that place. I got lost twice, and I usually have a very, very good sense of direction. I know my way around Oxford after four days, but I think the town may be smaller than that airport. For real. Anyway, my flight came in at 5:30 or so, and the Oxford office didn't open until 10:30. The bus ride was about an hour long, so I had to wait at Heathrow for four hours. It was okay, I just got coffee and a baguette, updated facebook, read David Sedaris. Good stuff. After I got off the bus here, I just had to drag my luggage to the office, get my key, take a taxi from there to my house. The only bad part about the whole trip (turbulence aside) was that someone stole my favorite hat. Put it on my seat, turned around for about a minute, and then it was gone. I was sad, I loved that hat. But all in all, worse things could have been stolen from me.
I love Oxford. I really, really love this town. I have loved it since the moment our bus first drove into the city and I saw all the old, beautiful buildings. I actually started tearing up on the bus, just because I was so overwhelmed. Constantly, as I am walking around this city, I am just so grateful to be here. Multiple times throughout the day, I just silently thank God that I was given this wonderful opportunity. I have wanted to come to Europe since I can remember, and it is amazing to think I am actually here. There's just so much history here, it's amazing to stand in front of a building and know that it was built nearly one thousand years ago. It is so difficult to wrap your mind around. I will say that being here makes me realize how young America truly is.
It would take forever to talk in great length about everything I have done in the last four days, but here is a summary:
-Unpacking
-Parties with other study-abroad students
-Shopping
-Pub hopping
-Lots of touring the city
-Some induction classes
-Decorating the house
-Eating out a lot
-Getting to know my housemates (flatmates? does that make me culturally accepting or pretentious?)
-Skyping my parents
-Purchasing a new cell phone
-Lots and lots and lots of walking around
This entry was posted on 6:54 AM
You can follow any responses to this entry through
the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response,
or trackback from your own site.










2 comments:
Yay! I'm so happy for you!
I'll probably get permanently lost in Heathrow. There'll be no hope for me.
Wow, you're at Oxford, how ... cool! I feel incredibly silly saying something like that; Oxford does have a reputation to keep up, after all. Let's just say I'm jealous :)
Post a Comment